Clara and Everett

Clara and Everett

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

A new year, a new sitter.

We tried very hard last year to find someone that would care for our kids as we would. We would have settled with someone semi-normal that was nice to our kids. We went through four different people throughout the year, one of which never even started. 

The first one wanted her husband to come which made us uncomfortable. She also wanted to take our kids everywhere like her doctor appointments...I get nervous driving my kids with the crazies on the road, I don't need a perfect stranger, 21 years old, but still, I've never ridden with her, why should I trust her?! Her husband had to come to the interview and she had a hard time leaving him coming to work, often making me/us feel guilty for not wanting him to come with her. She wasn't great with Clara, she didn't really enjoy toddler play but was very good with Everett. There are always "reddish" flags with people but we search through hundreds on care.com and it's slim "pickins", most that seem normal want to be making more than I bring home. So our first girl went from Nov until Xmas. 

Then, the next girl was very energetic and kid friendly with both. She showed up professional to the interview and then when she started she looked as if she didn't shower for days. She was kind of hippy-ish. After a few weeks we learned she had lots of animals, dogs, cats, a pig, rats, yuck. After about a month I could tell from her facebook page that she smoked pot. After two weeks the play declined and she was on her phone non-stop. I asked her to put her phone down via text two times. That same week she built a tent for "Clara" to play under. Clara was in her room, Everett was chewing on a purse of Clara's with sequence. One of which the pieces could be chewed off and he could choke. She couldn't see either of them while she laid in the tent for the 30 minutes I was watching so I called her and asked her to take the "texting tent" down and reminded her this was something we addressed in the interview and she assured me it wouldn't be a problem. Not to mention I asked her two times previously in the same week. She also had a permanent scream voice and blasted techno music a lot, just strange. It's so hard, people seem so normal in an hour conversation and answer every question well, the first two weeks go well and then shit just falls apart! I was over 20 year olds, so we hired this amazing grandma (young grandma), she borrowed our van (I didn't have Andre's approval, I will never live this down, sorry love!!!) and then she quit two days before she was supposed to start after my spring break. So I had two days to find someone new. Thankfully Doe and Michael helped out, and Sharron Campbell too! It was so hard. It was during our move, it seemed everything was falling apart! 

We found someone new, she seemed good enough, at this point if Marry Poppins showed up I wouldn't trust it would go well. She had two weeks of normal, like everyone else and then she managed to teach Clara "dead" while playing with the doll house pretty much solo. She called Clara a liar which she didn't know what it even meant of course. Clara said she had to go poop but was constipated (which I told her that morning) so she was annoyed at Clara and called her a liar?!?!?!?! She fell asleep with Everett on her lap while rocking him, he was awake, he could have fallen right on the floor. Thankfully she woke when I called her. I asked her not to put herself in a position where she'd fall asleep, he doesn't have to be rocked. My second to last day of school she fell asleep again. She was rubbing Clara's back, helping her fall asleep. Nice, yes, but she takes off her glasses and lays down on the floor next to her bed while she's doing it. So, one who falls asleep easy, should not assume that position. Thankfully we were in the midst of a tropical storm and school got out early so I was able to leave an hour and a half early. I went home and shook the babysitter awake to let her know she could leave and we wouldn't need her services. Awkward! Everett was crying the last twenty minutes in his crib with a poopy diaper. You may wonder why after the experiences I didn't fire her on the spot from the "dead/liar" situations. The answer is, I don't have anyone! It's insane, it's the worst feeling in the world as a mom walking out the door knowing I'm leaving my kids with idiots. That's a major reason for the job share, among trying to keep up with therapies, work, kids, and needing to be the influence on both my babies but especially Everett at this point. We miss Doe and Michael dearly and want that to be where our kids go, but they already have three to care for and jumping to five is a lot to ask. Thankfully they are always there in a pinch when we're "sitterless". Everett also shouldn't be around "day care" situations with the spreading of illness, if Clara were to go to school or daycare she'd bring it home so that would defeat the purpose. This will be our last year home together. Clara will be in school next year. I'm so excited to be able to spend more time with them before the school phase starts! I can't imagine her going to school...how?! My baby! Maybe Everett can go to Doe and Michael the following year when Clara is in school and he's a bit older and hopefully his immunity will be better. Doe's daughter, Kate, is a great friend of mine that also teaches at Southern Oak. That's how I found Doe. She recommended a friend to help me out this year. She is a mom going back to school, looking for part time work. We met and are set to start the year together. She has a nine year old daughter. She seems nice and I really hope it works out. Crossing my fingers. I was unable to focus at work last year and it was the worst. I really, really, really hope this year is better, and we have consistency! I'm so thankful for part time. 

Sleeping babysitter pics. Thank you person who invented nanny cams! I would seriously think all was going well with each one of the girls had I not had these. 


For a person who knows she falls asleep easy, she sure takes the time to get cozy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment