Clara and Everett

Clara and Everett

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Surgery #6 - tomorrow - 6/15/17

In 6 short hours I'll be preparing to take my little man to surgery for the 6th time.One would think it would get easier, but it's never easy to hand over my little man to strangers. I'm extra nervous this time since I've been home for the last few weeks he is getting attached to me and doesn't like when I pass him off and leave.

This time tonsils are the issue that have been causing him severe sleep apnea. It's only a ten minute surgery, but to me, surgery is scary no matter how long the process. I can't help but worry about him being put under and the complications that can come from that, the actual surgery, and my biggest fear this time is the recovery. I read another Down syndrome mom's post inquiring feedback because her daughter was struggling and there were many mixed reviews. Some are sleeping worse, some had other issues, but over all I'd say the responses were positive. Most indicated better sleep, some even mentioned better eating/drinking, speaking and that would make a big difference if it could impact ALL those areas. Two of about twenty responses mentioned it helping hearing, I'm imagining it helping allow sinus issues to drain which 100% Everett's issues with his ears. Could you imagine if this surgery just solved all our problems?!?!?!?!!?  I'll be sad if his cute little voice changes forever, that seemed to be the case for about 50% of those that have had the surgery, but if it means we find improvement somewhere else, especially sleep, I'm in.

He had his adenoids out already, he was about 6 months old and was only sleeping 20 minutes at a time for MONTHS so, I'm hoping this has a big impact on his sleep in a very positive way and makes this torture worth it. His adenoids could have grown back by this time, it happens under 3 years old and it's likely since he had his out so young. They didn't do an x-ray to check since they were going to remove tonsils anyway, but I won't be surprised if they are there...we will find out soon. I remember the pain of tonsils out, Bran had hers done and I know it's BRUTAL so I worry for my little man immensely. We could potentially be staying in the hospital for 24-ish hours or two or more weeks depending on how Everett will drink. My hope is if we're stuck in the hospital, we at least make it out of St. Josephs in Tampa and can go back if he becomes dehydrated in St. Pete so we can avoid the hike to and from Tampa. I hate that we lost our old ENT since she didn't take our insurance after we changed so that's why we now have to go to Tampa.

So, if you're reading this, please send a positive vibe our way and hope that our little man isn't in too much pain, everything goes smooth and we get HOME, FAST! He is the first one in tomorrow so we leave the house by 5 latest and his surgery is at 7:30 and done ten minutes later. I really hope that the amount of surgeries decreases soon for this little man, it's getting harder the older he gets!

No comments:

Post a Comment