Clara and Everett

Clara and Everett

Monday, July 29, 2013

Ana's Speech

I've been avidly working on my wedding album. I know many family and friends have been wanting to see pictures and I promised myself I'd get this done before baby Gretel comes. I know once school starts I will not have time to spend the hours it takes to complete the book. I was not impressed with my photographer at all. The pictures are low resolution, he only took pictures of about half of my guests, and his pictures were not quality either. We went about "medium price" when we chose our photographer, I now get it when people say GO BIG OR GO HOME when picking your photographer for your big day. It's worth the money! Thankfully my sister-in-law Tiffany of Fishy Face Photography came through and made up for most of it by taking our engagements, bridals, some on our wedding day and some on the beach after. We can never thank her enough, she keeps me sane when I look through his. 

Today I got up to the pictures of the speeches. I saved Ana's index cards and her words meant so much to me that day and of course still do. I am honored to share her heartfelt feelings and appreciate everything she did for me/us for our big day as it goes WELL beyond this speech. I love you Ana Jo!

Yea...should have also hung something more attractive behind us for these shots. We were going to sit with the water at our back but we wanted to be in the middle of our guests and not in the corner of the room so we chose this spot. I obviously wasn't thinking about these pictures and the background was no longer a nice view at our new location. Oh well, there is too much that goes into one day!! I'm sure everyone was focused on the thoughtful speeches, not the background.







Well, good evening everyone! What a gorgeous Bride & Groom, wedding party and entire wedding – this is just incredible! For those of you who don’t know me, I am Ana, Barbie’s slightly older sister. Barbie and I are 18 months apart and grew up 2 grades apart in school. Our story, to many, may seem common to other sibling stories, and in many ways, it was, especially when we were youngsters. Either bickering to the point of tears or tee-heeing and laughing so hard – our Mom’s favorite words were, “You’re going to be crying before you go to bed” – how did she know? Damn, she was always right. I think when we were young, most assumed that we were about as opposite as they come, I was the tomboy, Barbie was…well, the Barbie doll, I was outgoing and outspoken, Barbie quiet and reserved, I had no patience, Barbie would wait all day, I had short hair, Barbie had long hair, she was tall, I was shorter…OKAY, you get it opposites, opposites, opposites. However, as we all learned over time and I am proud to say that it is FAR from the truth! We have way more in common than either of us would have probably admitted when we were little. For one, Barbie was equally as much of a jock as me, she just could knock people dead with her looks. Number two, she was more quiet and reserved because she lived with me, motor mouth (as chronicled by our Mom in Barbie’s baby book that I spoke for her for her first four years)…and as we all know, Barbie is extremely outgoing! She naturally makes everyone feel like you have known her for years after just talking to her for minutes. And on top of it all, she is extremely intelligent, quick-witted and as real as they come – she couldn’t possibly be more well-rounded as a human being. The hardest part about writing this speech was that the person who I would most go to for advice is the one I’m writing about. I am so fortunate to have been blessed with a best friend I can also call my sister. I can’t tell you how honored I was to be asked by Barbie to stand by her on such a momentous occasion – when her entire classroom unveiled the big question on an overhead projector. I am surrounded by a group of women who could each be standing here for Barbie because we are all as close as sisters. But as I’ve said, I have been blessed for having the privilege of being blood related. I truly feel we share one of the deepest, most special bonds in the world that pretty much no words could describe.
As many of you already know we lost our mother to cancer when we were young. It’s hard to believe that was 15 years ago. Our mother, Susan (to those of you who knew her…Sue or Susie) like many mothers, was the backbone of our family and the centerpiece of our kids’ world. She was extremely intelligent, tough as nails, involved in everything and terribly hard working. But she knew how to love and instill kindness and respect into her children. Obviously, losing her was one of the hardest things we have ever had to face as a family. Whoever said, time heals all wounds was not 100% correct in my opinion! Sure, time does make certain things easier to face, and of course, you have to continue to live your life…but you are never healed from something like losing a mother. You are left with gaping scars, and throughout life’s ups and downs those scars are continuous reminder of what you’ve lost. And without Barbie, my rock, my confident, the person who understands without having to say a word…I’m not sure how I would have made it through. This is the perfect opportunity to mention our dad, Karl, because a person in his situation could have easily dropped the ball, but he stepped up to the plate and saw to it that we became the strong women we are today. I can say one thing for certain, the greatest gift my mom AND DAD gave me, was my sister…and that is evident every day of my life.
And now, if I may share a few thoughts with Barbie today:
#1 Mom is SO extremely proud of you and all that you have accomplished.
#2 She continues to be with us each and every day, through our love to one another, through the love she has taught us to share. And all this love you are getting back, these amazing people, and family today and every day is her shining down upon you with pride.
#3 All the qualities you and I admire and miss about mom, you possess to the utmost, more than anyone. I strive to not only be like mom, but to be like you – you inspire me, you encourage me and most of all you love me unconditionally and I can never thank you enough for that.
#4 and this might be the most important…Mom would LOOOOOOVE Andre…obvi!!!
I didn’t have the pleasure of knowing Andre before he and Barbie met…but I feel as though I’ve known him a lifetime. It’s not very often two crazy unique individuals and their crazy families meet and mesh the way I feel these two have! From the moment I witnessed the two of them together, I knew…there were no doubts or questions. I realized when I was preparing for my moment in the spotlight that I hadn’t given Andre, “the lecture” about what I would do to him if he dishonored my dear sister. Trust me, I’ve done that before…and well, you don’t see them sitting here do you? (And…That’s all I’m doing to say about that). But what this made me realize is that it didn’t even dawn on me that I would need to have this kind of talk with Andre – because I see the way he treats her, respects her and most of all truly loves her, I know she is in the best hands. Andre, brother…you know how much I love you and I know how much you love Barbie…but I do have to say this…mess with her and you will never be able to wear those junk trunks with pride again!!! Hahahahah – only kidding.
Barbie you are MARRIED!!!! You are Barbara Lin Lang-Feger!!! I want to thank you both for the honor of not only being part of your wedding, but allowing me to be a part of your incredible circle of friends and family. When someone close to you gets married, you fear they will change or lose a part of themselves, but Andre and Barbie, you seem to have made each other better people. While I love my quality time with my sister, I actually miss when Andre’s not around – nothing is as much fun without the two of you involved and I know I’m not the only one who feels this way. SO…continue to love one another passionately. These are the great times but we all know there will be hard times. In those times, remember the core of who you are, and keep that close to your heart and mind. Always be willing to compromise but never sacrifice who you are as individuals. And most of all continue to look ahead as there are great things to come from two amazing people now united as one!
Now, I’d like to make a toast to Mrs. and Mrs. Feger…and now if you will raise your glass with me…in celebration – to a lifetime of happiness. I love you…Here here!

To my family and friends who have been waiting for pictures. Once I get the album done, I'll email it so you can preview the book. My hope is to get the proposal, engagement, bridals, bachlorette, bachelor, shower, wedding day, and honeymoon...I'll also send the pictures via Shutterfly once they're all uploaded so you can print if you wish. If they come out BLURRY you know they're not Tiffany's. It will warn you that they are low resolution so you'll be aware if there is a problem. I'll also be printing and sending a handful out to those in the wedding party, someday! I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment