Clara and Everett

Clara and Everett

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

week 42 - first week back - no kids

My first week back was okay. I miss that little pumpkin so darn much. There is nothing I like better in this world than being with her all day. She is so much more exhausting than work, but I prefer it, no doubt.

I had trainings, got my portable ready, eek. We had open house Thursday night. I had almost all my parents show even though I've been with most for going on three years. I emailed them and let them know I had new information and please come, so they did. My first year with these parents wasn't like this. I cannot begin the benefits of looping. These families are like my own. I will have influenced their kids for three years in a row and take great pride in that. I often wonder if they're missing out on other things because of my ways. I try very hard to make sure I teach them all I can and most of instill a desire to learn and be a nice person. Some of them used to be rude, some shy, and most were as sweet as they are today. Other than being very chatty, they are the greatest bunch I've had the pleasure of teaching. However, I think I would say that every year. These kids are extra special to me since they are like my own. I often think about how I'm going to send them away at the end of the year. It will be the saddest end of a school year in my career, my 10th year.

We have some new faces that fit in great. Two of the parents said they tried to get me last year, but didn't. It is the biggest compliment to know that parents are trying to get their kids in my class, this is only my third year at this school. Each time I earn that reputation, I end up moving to a new school and starting over.

I do have pictures of my portable when Andre came with Clara before Open House to bring me dinner. I'll add pictures soon. I forgot to take before pictures. It turned out okay, it's ours so it will do. I just wish I could wash my hands and pee.

At the end of this long week of trying to make ends meet and bring it all together I was so thrilled for Monday to come for us to start this year. I can say I've only ever been excited to start a school year when I'm looping with a class. The work it takes to get a class functioning smooth takes months, once you've got it you want to keep it. So, a brand new class can be daunting.

I had trainings and meetings all week, most of which are a waste of time. We have such limited time at the start of a school year. I don't know how anyone things teachers that move grade levels and classrooms only need a half a day to get their entire classroom ready AND prepare for the first week of school. This year was an extra challenge since I have to leave at 3 and can't live at school anymore. I have a closet full of boxes that still need to be empied. I got the basics and will have to chip away in all my spare time there. ;)

As much as I miss Clara all day long, it makes being way easier when I'm with these kids. I love them and am excited for this school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment