Clara and Everett

Clara and Everett

Monday, June 6, 2016

You're One! (text only)

My dearest Everett,

You're one today! I have no idea how a year has flown by?! You've done so much in your first year of life, a fighter from the start. We almost lost you on day three, but you fought hard to stay with us. Thank you, I'll be forever grateful for the fight inside you. When we didn't know if you were going to live or die, I told your daddy I would not have another baby, I wanted you. The moment we locked eyes I was so thankful you were mine. We've (you the most!) endured a lot in your one year on earth. About 50 days hospitalized, 4 surgeries (broviac, circumcision, adenoids, and tubes/eye probe/cyst removal), 5 ER visits, over 75 therapy sessions, a flight to NY and a car ride to Englewood to visit grandma and grandpa, you've moved houses, so many milestones, smiles, laughs and snuggles. You're a fighter when you need to be and a happy camper for the rest of your existence. You don't get the help you need when you're sick because you're so happy so mommy has to let the claws come out. You've taught me so much in your one year here with me. I'm learning to be more patient than I ever thought I could be, waiting patiently for milestones, and learning to enjoy the slow but steady pace. It's nice that I get to absorb more of your "baby" time longer but we all have it drilled into our mommy brains that we need to accomplish milestones faster and sooner. I'm enjoying the "delay" although you're on target for the most part. You work so hard in therapy and fight through sessions when you're tired and hungry since it's impossible to nap and eat around your crazy schedule.

You are getting better at sleeping through the night, sometimes you wake and play . You typically only get up once and it's quick. You sometimes take a two hour nap but not often. You're not a good napper, it's always interrupted and your therapy sessions are always in the way. I really think you'd nap well if you could have a steady schedule. Hopefully next year when I work half the time, we can get your therapy sessions over with in the morning and give you the afternoon to rest. You like late naps. You talk yourself to sleep well, once in a while you'll cry but it's only for a few minutes. I rock you sometimes, but just because I love to rock you and hold you, you'll always go to sleep on your own. I have to pretend to sleep while I'm rocking you, otherwise you smile at me and giggle, we exchange smiles and giggles for a few minutes and after I close my eyes I can feel you smiling at me and I smile back with my eyes closed. You won't fall asleep unless I "go to sleep" too. You don't fall asleep out on the go or anywhere there's something going on, you do fall asleep in the car but the moment you're taken out, you wake. You're a snuggle bunny, I love it, everyone does.

You're eating solids now, mostly baby food still. You're getting better at it, you eat more efficiently now and the quantity is increasing too. That was a slow go, as eating has been for you in general. You're not overly interested in feeding yourself. You can and will hold your own bottle and pick up pieces of food and put it in your mouth but you're not overly coordinated or eager to. I encourage you a lot and you'll do it for me. You're now starting to drink milk products, the GI doctor said your allergy should be resolved at this point. I've got to get the rest of my breast milk from Aunt Tiffy's mom and dad's soon! You drink 6oz bottles before bed and in the morning but only 4 oz typically throughout the day on top of food.

You're about 18lbs., I'm not sure how long. You're long for Down syndrome babies but short to average for a typical baby size. You're in 12 month clothes. Your shorts can be from 6 months - 12 months but your shirts range from 9 - 18 months. You're in a size 4 diaper and you just got your first pair of "walking" shoes for OT.

You say "dada, nana and baba" a lot. You make lots of noises and LOVE to blow raspberries. You mimic a lot of actions. You can sign milk and you're starting to wave hello and bye. You're starting to learn you have a voice that can be used to gain what you want. When I take you out of the pool or swing you start to cry, that really really sad cry and it makes it so hard to transition, but I LOVE that you've found your "voice". I'm still patiently waiting for mama. You put "in" and bang toys together on command. Now that you have your tubes you repeat a lot more. You get excited easily and love to laugh and smile, but only for people you're comfortable with. You're doing good climbing the stairs and you're all over the floor playing with your toys and sissy. You can army crawl fast and are bringing your knees under you once in a while but not regularly yet. Sissy makes you smile the biggest. You're putting your toys "in" on command and clapping, you've been doing those for a while. We're working on "push" and "come here" and lots of signs. You're not quite pushing yourself up to sit yet but you love being on your tummy so I can't convince you to sit for long as it is. You're starting to pull yourself up on things at an angle. You're the most content little baby. You hardly ever cry. Your sister gets more attention and needs met first a lot since you're so patient. I look forward to the day you're able to say, "Me first", but I doubt you will. You're curious and observant, you're very visual. When you meet someone new you just stare, forever. You don't interact with anyone until you get to know them, you have a blank stare taking in all the features of their face. You go to anyone but you prefer mama and dada. Your biggest love is your sissy. The other day when we were in therapy and you were tired and hungry and started crying (for the first time ever in therapy) Jenny and I looked to Clara. We asked her to come over and sing you a song. She did, she started to sing you the ABC's and you INSTANTLY stopped crying and smiled. She helped you through the rest of your therapy session that day. She loves you as much as you love her. She never leaves you out, wherever we go, whatever we do, she always remembers to include you. Sometimes she doesn't want you grabbing at her or her Nunu while she's on the potty, she's also not digging that you can push down her towers she builds either, but she's learning to encourage you to do so, she just hates it when you do it too soon!

Your entire family is so thankful for you. We love you. Happy first birthday my little love.

Pictures in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment