Clara and Everett

Clara and Everett

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

What can you do?

So many people ask me what they can do for us. So many already have done enough, too much. However, there is something you can do for me no matter where you live.

I don't know much about Down Syndrome. I honestly couldn't even tell you what caused Everett to be labeled, I don't have time or energy to research these days. Also, the internet is a dangerous place. I don't want to fill my brain with any idea of something that Everett "can't" do or "won't" do. It's like when a teacher comes to me to tell me about a student I'm about to get that they've had...when they start talking I sing, "La, la, la, la" in my head while nodding and smiling. Why? I know if I get that "thing" they'll do or won't do in my head I'll naturally watch for it, wait for it, and even sometimes bring it on myself by accident. I don't want to get anything stuck in my head I cannot get out.

I want to know helpful things, encouraging things. For example, the nurse told me his muscular system may benefit from massage. I want to know what I can do to enhance his capabilities..right now he is my perfect child (he always will be) and my expectations are high and I don't want the internet or a book to hinder my perception. I don't want to lower them, I'll let him lead the way and call the shots of course. I just really, really do not want something to get in my head that I can't get out and unintentionally hold him back from anything he might be capable of.

So, if you have knowledge that will help Everette and I grow together, please share it with me. If you have resources you think are helpful, please share. I know the first three years of his life are critical for his future, just like any other child, since he is just like any other child. ;) One doctor taught me sign language will be huge for him since communication might be slower, I loved that she said might. Anything you can teach me, to help him learn and grow would be greatly appreciated. You can email me, post on the blog, tell me next time we talk, whatever works best for you.

Thank you in advance for any insight you're able to offer this teacher who needs a new education.

No comments:

Post a Comment